Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The current regime

The job is a bit surprising.  I keep learning new ways to make what starts out sounding ordinary to standing out with subtle effects.  I am learning about making music using loop based files, and relied on it heavily for this production I just finished.  I am learning that pauses in the scoring can actually strengthen the action and emotion by highlighting one word, or phrase.  

I am also finding myself referencing other bits of drama when I'm putting together a show.  And it's not just finding sound-alike music I can use... for example, there is a track that is obviously inspired from the Matt Smith-era of Doctor Who.  I thought it was a coincidence at first, but then I saw the track's title was "The Ginger Girl," and didn't use it.  

BUT I did do a show where I slid in lots of Tarrantino references... all of it completely legal to use, we've got the license... and the one I just finished has a John Carpenter-feel to it.  In fact, as I've started using and layering loops for my scores, I'm starting to understand how people like Carpenter and Trent Reznor create their stuff... of course, they really create their stuff, I'm just buying loops and emulating them.  But I also bought Acid (now owned by Magix) and am looking to buying Kontakt, as that seems to be the program all the cool kids are using.

I do, however, miss the old days of imaging, of just being able to sample some cool piece of music I heard in a movie... I doubt those days will ever return.

I actually had a whole post I was going to write about the Trump regime after this brief prelude, but I think I'll get back to the shows.

No comments: