Thursday, January 8, 2015

Hysterical historical hypocrisy

I have one extremely weak spot in my soul while endeavoring to become a better person.  It makes giving up drinking seem unnaturally easy.  Hell, it makes giving up Italian food seem unnaturally easy (something I'm also trying to do, but in moderation).  And that's trying to let go of wanting to see people who flagrantly flaunt their hypocrisy to the world brought down a peg.

Admittedly, it's a bit of a sociopathic streak in me.  That in itself is hypocrisy, so who am I to judge?  But...

It's like coming across the personal ad of somebody you've known, at some point in life, and they actually say, "Don't judge me on what I've done in the past," which is actually just them saying "I don't want to take responsibility for the shit I've done and if you hold it against me, well then, YOU are the asshole."  Of course people will judge you for what you've done in the past.  That's what "judgment" is about, dumbass.  It's what you do in the present and future that will balance those scales and sway them to thinking that, hey, maybe you're no longer a cheating pervert with a secret rape fetish, or a closet sociopath yourself, or even just an obnoxious and self-centered asshole.

I usually see this in, I hate to say it, Christians.  "You should not judge me until you've walked a mile in MY shoes" is an easy thing to tell people when the heels you wear are so high that you get regular nosebleeds and ear-pops, and for some reason, whether they've been saved all their lives, or just born again at some point, this is something I regularly hear from Christians.  Either that, or the ever-popular "you just don't like what I say 'cuz you can't handle the TRUTH!"  As if they are some drag version of Odin All-Father, acting on information from his spies Huginn and Muninn (crows, ick), and they just KNOW the truth and they will snatch that weave up off your head...

Yes.  It feels like that.  Like an out of control reality show.  

Hypocrisy, though, in particular, gets me, because I am as guilty of it as anybody.  The only difference I can claim between me and others regarding it is that I've been regularly admitting to mine for a while now.  "Yep, I did that.  Wish I hadn't now.  I see my errors and apologize and will try not to do it again in the future."  (Of course I'm not so bland when I admit it, and probably could take some pointers in brevity.)  

Guess what, you never get forgiven.  So I guess if I seem harsh now, it is because when I see a double standard, when I see somebody hiding behind the invincible shield of Christianity to disguise their hypocrisy, because first amendment and free-dumb of religion and YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO JUDGE ME, I guess I just really get frustrated that these kind of people aren't called to task.

If you display this kind of behavior, if you support this kind of behavior, you're part of the problem.  Hiding behind religion doesn't make you a better person, and latching onto somebody who does it doesn't absolve your sins.  I've admitted my sins, and I'm working on becoming better, and most importantly, I am becoming better, but especially with the big changes probably coming, I have to.  If I'm not forgiven for those sins, after trying to make honest amends, that says a lot more about the people I've sinned against than the sins themselves.

No comments: